Today is February 24, 2023. It’s been one year since Russia invaded Ukraine. Too many unthinkable horrible things have happened to the people in Ukraine and still happening. There was no single day I didn’t think about them. Today I cooked ‘Mlyntsi’ Ukrainian Thin Pancakes as I prayed for their victory and peace in Ukraine. ‘Mlyntsi’ is delicious with sweet fillings, but today I enjoyed it with savoury Chicken filling. One day, I want to visit their country and taste the real Ukrainian ‘Mlyntsi’.
8 x 18cm Pancakes
1 cup Self-Raising Flour OR Plain Flour *Today I used Plain Flour
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 cup Milk
1 large Egg
1 tablespoon (15g) Melted Butter
Oil for cooking
250g Chicken Mince *Pork Mince is also good
1/4 Onion *finely chopped
1 teaspoon Oil
1/4 teaspoon Salt *alter the amount to suit your taste
Ground Pepper as required
125g Cottage Cheese *OR Cream Cheese
1 tablespoon chopped Fresh Dill *OR Parsley
- To make Chicken Filling, heat Oil in a frying pan over medium heat, cook Chicken Mince and Onion, breaking up Chicken Mince. When Chicken and Onion are cooked, season with Salt and Pepper.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, add Cottage Cheese (OR Cream Cheese) and Dill, and mix to combine. Add extra Salt & Pepper if required.
- To make ‘Mlyntsi’ Ukrainian Thin Pancakes, combine Flour, Salt and Sugar in a mixing bowl. Add Milk, Egg and melted Butter, and use a whisk to mix well until smooth and well combined.
- Heat a frying pan, non-stick preferred, over medium heat, lightly Oil the pan, ladle the batter, and form a thin pancake, about 18cm in diameter, using the bottom of the ladle to spread the batter if required.
- Cook until bottom side is lightly browned, then flip it over, and cook the other side. Repeat until all batter is cooked. *Note: You should be able to make 8 pancakes. It is your choice to make larger size pancakes.
- Place one pancake on a plate, place some Chicken filling on the pancake, fold the ends over the filling, and roll up. Enjoy as it is, OR with some Sour Cream.
Leave a Reply