Body of Squid is often called ‘Squid Tube’ and available from any supermarket stores. I always wonder why they don’t sell tentacles. Frozen Squid Tentacles are available from most Asian grocery stores and they are not expensive. Of course, fresh whole squid from seafood stores are the best. They will clean them for you. This is my favourite way to cook Squid Tentacles. Absolutely delicious!!!
500g Squid Tentacles
1 thumb size piece Ginger *grated
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Mirin
1/4 cup Potato Starch Flour
1/4 cup Plain Flour
Oil for frying
Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) *optional
- Clean the Squid Tentacles and cut into pieces.
- In a bowl, combine grated fresh Ginger, Soy Sauce and Mirin. Add Squid Tentacles and marinate for at least 30 minutes. Then drain the marinade.
- Place Potato Starch Flour and Plain Flour in a bowl and mix well. Coat the squid pieces with the flour mixture, one by one. Add more flour as required.
- Heat Oil to 170°C to 180°C. Deep fry for 1 to 2 minutes. Take them out and lay them on a rack to drain the excess oil.
- Sprinkle with Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) OR serve with it.