My ‘Easiest Sweet Shortcrust Pastry’ can be a cookie dough. The cookies made of this dough have crumbly texture that is softer than my ‘Basic Cookie Dough’. Today I reduced the amount of Flour and added Almond Meal for even more delicate texture. Matcha Powder can be replaced with Cocoa Powder, or omitted for plain vanilla flavour.
20 to 24 Cookies
100g Butter *softened
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3/4 cup Plain Flour
1/2 cup Almond Meals
*Note: Almond Meal is optional. You can use extra 1/4 cup Flour instead of Almond Meal. In that case, you would use 1 cup Flour.
1 tablespoon Matcha Powder *can be replaced with Cocoa Powder
Coarse granule Sugar for coating
- Mix softened Butter and Sugar until smooth. Add Egg Yolk and Vanilla, and mix until creamy. Add sifted Matcha Powder and mix well.
- Add Plain Flour and Almond Meal, and mix as you cut the butter mixture into the dry ingredients. Use your hands to bring the mixture together into dough. Do not over mix it.
- Place the dough on a sheet of plastic warp, shape into a log 5cm in diameter, and wrap it. Refrigerate until firm. *Note: It could be easier to make two logs.
- When it is firm, remove and discard the plastic wrap, coat the log(s) with Sugar granules, and slice into 1cm thick rounds.
- Preheat the oven to 160℃. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place the cut cookie dough on the tray, bake for 20 minutes, and cool on a wire rack.