You like Sushi Rolls? Using exactly the same ingredients, you can make ‘Onigiri’ Rice Balls. Mix the filling ingredients with Sushi Rice, form into ‘Onigiri’, and wrap with Nori in your preferred way. Perfect for lunch or snack, much easier to make, and tastes the same. You don’t know how to make triangular balls? Then make round balls. This is another way to enjoy Sushi.
8 ‘Onigiri’ Rice Balls
2 cups (180ml cup) Short Grain Sushi Rice
50ml Rice Vinegar
Slightly less than 1 teaspoon Salt *4ml
2 sheets Nori *cut into quarters
*Note: If you want to cook a larger amount of Sushi Rice, please see ‘Sushi Rice’ page
Other Ingredients to mix with Sushi Rice
*e.g. Teriyaki Chicken, cooked Prawns, Ham, Smoked Salmon, Grilled Salmon, Canned Salmon, Tuna, cooked Egg, Edamame, Avocado (very soft one is not suitable), blanched Carrot, blanched Spinach, Picked Daikon, Cucumber, Lettuce, etc.
- Make Sushi Vinegar by mixing Rice Vinegar, Sugar and Salt. Pour it over the HOT cooked Rice, then mix well gently and thoroughly, fanning the Rice with a fan or piece of cardboard to help the rice cool quickly. Cover with a damp cloth to stop the rice drying out, and allow it to cool.
- Prepare other ingredients. Cut into small pieces if large. Combine them with the cooled Sushi Rice.
- Wash your hands thoroughly before making ‘Onigiri’, however sometimes it is safe and easy to make ‘Onigiri’ using plastic food wrap.
- Place 1/8 of Rice mixture in the centre of the wrap and shape it into a triangular (OR round) ball. If you don’t use plastic wrap, wet your hands so that Rice won’t stick to your palms. Repeat the process.
- Today I made three different types. ‘Smoked Salmon & Avocado’, ‘Teriyaki Chicken, Spinach, Carrot & Egg’, and ‘Prawn, Edamame & Egg.
- Cut each sheet of Nori into quarters. Wrap each Rice Ball with a piece of Nori. Today I cut it into long strips. This is how I wrapped.