This dish is a variation of my ‘Miso Peanuts & Tofu’. I replaced Tofu with steamed Sweet Potato today. I wanted to use Pumpkin, but Pumpkins in Australia are all too wet and not suitable for stir-fry dish like this one. Floury Pumpkin that has fluffy texture would be great. You may wish to try with your Pumpkin. Today I used orange coloured Sweet Potato, that is a good substitute.
1 large Sweet Potato *Today it weighed 380g
1 tablespoon Oil
1/2 cup Unsalted Roasted Peanuts
2 tablespoons Miso *dark colour type recommended
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Mirin
Water OR Sake (Rice wine)
Chilli Flakes as required
Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) *optional
- Peel and cut Sweet Potato into bite-size pieces and steam until soft.
- In a small bowl, combine Miso, Sugar and Mirin. Add some Chilli Flakes if you like the sauce spicy. To make the sauce thinner, add a small amount of Water OR Sake (Rice Wine).
- Heat Oil in a frying pan and cook steamed Sweet Potato pieces until slightly browned. Add Peanuts and stir. Then remove from heat.
- Add the Miso Sauce and combine well. The remaining heat will cook the sauce, but you can cook over low heat if you prefer.
- Sprinkle some Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) if you like, and serve.
Leave a Reply