This vegetarian dish is made with Tofu, Abura-age (Thin Fried Tofu) and Edamame, which are great sources of protein. I liked Chicken Mince version better when I was a child, but I prefer this vegetarian version now. I usually add Hijiki (a sea vegetable), but I haven’t seen it for many years. Shops are not selling Hijiki in Australia. If you have it, add 1-2 tablespoons of it.
*Note: The amount of Soup should be enough to cook 8 pieces.
3 Abura-age (Thin Fried Tofu)
125g Tofu *Medium Firm type such as ‘Momen’ recommend, Firm type can be used
1 teaspoon grated Ginger
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
1/3 cup Mixed Vegetables (Edamame, Peas, Corn, Carrot, Beans, Shiitake, etc.)
1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
1 cup Dashi Stock *1 cup Water and 1/2 teaspoon Dashi Powder
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Mirin
- Tofu should not contain too much water. Wrap with paper towel and gently press to remove excess water.
- Prepare Vegetables. Frozen Vegetables must be thawed. If you use Carrot and Beans, cut them into very small pieces.
- In a bowl, combine drained Tofu, Ginger, all Vegetables, Egg and Soy Sauce. Divide into 6 even portions.
- Wrap Abura-age with paper towel and heat in microwave for 30 seconds. Then press it to remove excess oil if required. *Note: This process is optional, but the heat softens Abura-age and next process will be easier. Soak in hot water is alternative option. Remove excess water.
- Cut each Abura-age in half, carefully open and make bags. Fill each bag with the Tofu mixture and secure with a toothpick.
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat.
- Once the sauce starts boiling, gently place the Abura-age bags in the sauce, cook for 5 minutes. Turn them over, and cook for further 5 minutes until the sauce slightly thickens.