To make Ragù, I usually use minced Beef OR minced Beef & Pork. However, from now on, Soy Meat (Soy Protein) could be another choice. This Vegan Ragù was so good. If you add more Vegetables and Mushrooms, it would taste even better.
100g Dry Soy Meat (Soy Protein) *Mince type
2 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Onion *finely chopped
2 cloves Garlic *finely chopped
1 small Carrot *coarsely grated
20g Dried Mushrooms *e.g. Dried Porcini, finely chopped
700g Passata *OR 800g canned Tomatoes
1/2 cup Water that is used to soak Dried Mushrooms *avoid the settlings
1 Vegetable Stock Cube
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Dry Italian Herb Mix *add extra as required
1 Bay Leaf
Salt & freshly ground Black Pepper
Chilli Flakes *optional
1 tablespoon chopped Parsley *optional
2 to 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste *optional
- Soak Dry Soy Meat in plenty of warm water for 30 minutes. Drain and squeeze to remove excess water, then soak in fresh water, drain and squeeze to remove excess water again. *Note: This process is to remove unpleasant smell from Soy Meat. It might be unnecessary, or you wish to repeat a few times.
- Soak Dried Mushrooms in warm water until soft. When soft, drain and save water. Finely chop up Mushrooms.
- Heat Oil in a large saucepan or pot over medium heat, cook Onion, Garlic and Carrot until soft. Add Mushrooms and Soy Meat, and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the other ingredients, season with Salt and Black Pepper, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick. Add finely chopped Parsley.
- *Note: If you used canned Tomato, it would take longer time to simmer. 2 to 3 tablespoons Tomato Paste can make the sauce thick quicker and also add more flavour.