This cake batter is actually my Basic Plain Cupcake batter, that is very versatile and I use it most frequently. You can add ‘Whatever Fruit You Have’ to it and make a simple Fruit Cake. Fruit can be fresh, cooked, canned OR frozen. Today I added Apple and Canned Plums, which I have been struggling to use up. Depending on the Fruit that you use, you need to add extra Sugar, and you may wish to add Spice(s) such as Cinnamon.
18cm x 27cm Cake Tin *Use a similar size Tin
125g Butter *softened
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
1 pinch Salt
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract *OR Lemon Juice, Rum, Brandy, etc.
1 & 1/2 cups Self-Raising Flour
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon *optional, depending on the Fruit you use. You may wish to add other Spices.
1/2 cup Milk *Butter Milk OR Unsweetened Yoghurt can be used
250 to 300g Fruit *can be fresh, cooked, canned OR frozen
Extra Sugar *optional
- Cut Fruit into small pieces if large. If you use Canned Fruit, drain well. Add some Sugar if the Fruit is sour, but most Fruit don’t need extra Sugar.
- *Note: Some types of Apple don’t get soft quickly. I recommend to pre-cook them. Today I heated Apple pieces in 1000W microwave for 1 & 1/2 minutes. Otherwise, you need to cut Apple into smaller pieces.
- Preheat oven to 170℃. Line a cake tin with baking paper.
- Mix softened Butter, Sugar and Salt in a mixing bowl until creamy. Add Eggs one at a time, mixing well. Add Vanilla Extract (OR other flavours) and mix well.
- Add Self-Raising Flour, Cinnamon (OR other Spices if you add any) and Milk, and mix to combine. Then add Fruit and roughly combine. *Note: Today I added Apple and Canned Plums.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and spread evenly. *Note: You may wish to sprinkle with some Sugar on top for extra sweetness when sour Fruit is used.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes OR until cooked through. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Serve warm OR cold, with Cream, Sour Cream, etc.
Leave a Reply