My ‘Mabo Dofu Japanese Style’ is quite different from the authentic Chinese ‘Mapo Tofu’, but that’s what I have been eating and it is very easy to prepare. This ‘White’ version is also very easy and it is NOT spicy at all. It is absolutely suitable for very young children. If you want to make it spicy, just add Chilli. Enjoy it with freshly cooked rice.
500g Tofu *medium soft type such as ‘Momen Tofu’
250 to 300g Pork Mince
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
1 small piece Ginger *finely chopped or grated
4 thick Spring Onions *finely chopped
1 tablespoon Oil
1 cup Chicken Stock *OR 1 cup Water & 1 teaspoon Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder
1 tablespoon White Miso
2 tablespoons Sake
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Salt *alter the amount depending on the saltiness of the Miso and Chicken Stock
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
1 tablespoon Potato Starch
- Prepare vegetables. Basically you need to finely chop up everything. Cut Tofu into bite-size cubes.
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. This has to be done before you start cooking. Cooking process doesn’t take long at all.
- Heat Oil in a large frying pan or a wok, cook Pork Mince and vegetables breaking up the mince.
- Before you add the sauce mixture into the pan, mix it well again. Then pour it in and bring to the boil and let the sauce thicken.
- Add Tofu and gently mix and combine.