This recipe doesn’t use yeast. My mother used to make these ‘Anman’ (Steamed Azuki Buns) for breakfast really quickly. Sometimes she made the buns with the dough mixed with raisins with no filling. It’s her quick and easy recipe.
1. If you make Tsubu-an/Koshi-an, see the recipe pages. Tsubu-an / Koshi-an
2. Mix Self Raising Flour, Sugar, 1 pinch of Salt, Egg and Vegetable Oil. Then gradually add Water and mix to form a soft dough.
3. Divide the dough into 8 portions.
4. Roll one portion of dough and flatten to about 10cm round. Place one tablespoonful of Tsubu-an/Koshi-an in center and draw the edges up to form a bun. Make 8 buns and place each bun on a piece of baking paper (size 10 x 10cm).
5. Pour water into a steamer and bring to the boil over high heat. Place buns into steamer, cover with lid and cook for 12 minutes. Repeat with remaining buns. Serve warm.