There are two method for this dish. One is deep frying the eggplant and the other is shallow frying. I definitely prefer shallow frying, but you need fairly good mount of oil even for the shallow frying. This dish taste better when cooled to room temperature or even chilled. I generally don’t like too much sweetness for this dish, but you may wish to add 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar as many people do so.
Eggplants 2 Medium OR 4 Small
Oil 2 to 3 tablespoons
Dashi Stock 1 cup
Soy Sauce 2 tablespoons
Salt 1/2 teaspoon
Mirin 2 tablespoons
Ginger 1 small piece *grated
Spring Onion 1 *finely chopped
- Cut off the green bit of Eggplants and cut in half or quarter lengthways, then make many shallow cuts on the skin, scoring it. If the pieces are long, cut in half.
- Place Dashi Stock, Soy Sauce, Salt, Mirin and Ginger in a bowl and mix well to make the sauce.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan over medium heat, cook Eggplants on the skin side down for a couple of minutes. Then cook other sides as well until they are slightly coloured.
- Pour over the sauce and add some Chilli, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat and let cool. The Eggplant should remain in the sauce while cooling.
- Sprinkle some chopped Spring Onion over and serve cool or cold.