This Pork Mince filling is almost same as Gyoza filling. I simply sandwiched it with Eggplant slices, then fried. My first attempt was not quite successful, because the Pork filling slipped out from Eggplant. You need to glue them so that they stay together. Flour would be a good glue.
250 to 300g Pork Mince
2 Spring Onions *finely chopped, save some green parts for topping
1 teaspoon grated Ginger
1 teaspoon grated Garlic
Salt & Pepper
2 medium Eggplants
2 tablespoons Oil for cooking
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Mirin
2 tablespoons Water
1/2 teaspoon Potato Starch Flour
- Combine Pork Mince, Spring Onion, grated Ginger and Garlic in a bowl, lightly season with Salt and Pepper, and mix very well until it gets pasty texture.
- Cut Eggplants into 8mm thick slices, make pairs with similar size slices, and place on a large tray. Sprinkle with Plain Flour.
- Shape the Pork mixture into thin patties in the size similar to the Eggplant slices. Sandwich it with two Eggplant slices.
- Heat Oil in a large frying pan, cook Eggplant and Pork sandwiches covered with a lid over medium heat until browned. Turn them over, cover with the lid, and cook until browned.
- Meanwhile, make ‘Teriyaki’ Sauce by mixing all the ingredients. Lower the heat, pour the sauce and cook until the sauce thickens, turn them over so that both sides get covered with the sauce.
- Arrange them on a serving plate, sprinkle with the saved Spring Onion, and serve.