I love the combination of Dates and Walnuts, that is excellent for cookies, cakes and anything. These slices don’t look sophisticated but they are absolutely delicious. You would need a cup of tea or coffee!
20cm Square Tin
*If you use a larger tin, make more Filling and Crumble.
1 cup Chopped Dried Dates
1/2 cup Hot Water
1/2 cup Walnuts
125g Butter *melted
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1 cup Plain Flour OR Self-Raising Flour
*Note: Self-Raising Flour makes softer texture
1 cup Instant Porridge Oats OR Rolled Oats
- Place chopped Dates and Hot Water in a large heat-proof bowl, heat in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, and set aside. You can do this process using a saucepan. Bring it to the boil and cook for a few minutes, then set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix Butter and Brown Sugar until smooth. Add Plain Flour (*OR Self-Raising Flour) and Oats, and mix well.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line the base and sides of a 20cm (OR a similar size) square cake tin with baking paper.
- Stir the softened dates and make into paste. Chop up Walnuts and add to the dates and mix well. *If the paste is too thick, add 1 tablespoon Water to loosen it.
- Firmly press half the Crumble into the base of prepared tin. Spread the dates mixture evenly. Cover with the remaining Crumble and gently press down.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until golden. Allow to cool and cut into slices.