Dates and Walnuts are a great combination. Many people use these two ingredients to make cakes and cookies. I strongly believe Dates and Orange are another great combination. I added Zest of 1 Orange to these Scones, but you can add chopped Candied Orange Peels. Today I enjoy this Scone with Butter and Orange Marmalade with a nice cup of tea. See the photo below.
2 cups Self-Raising Flour
1/4 cup Caster Sugar OR Brown Sugar
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Mixed Spice (Cinnamon, Allspice and Nutmeg)
60g Cold Salted Butter
2/3 cup Milk
1 cup Dried Pitted Dates *coarsely chopped
Zest of 1 Orange *grated
*Note: You can add some chopped Candied Orange Peels
- Preheat oven to 220℃. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Place Flour, Sugar, Salt and Mixed Spice in a large bowl, and mix to blend. Cut the Butter into small cubes and add to the flour mixture. Using fingertips, rub the Butter pieces into flour mixture until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add Milk and stir until a sticky dough forms. Add chopped Dates and grated Orange Zest, and gently combine evenly, and form a soft dough. DO NOT over-kneed the dough. It might be quite sticky.
- Divide the dough in half. On a well floured surface, gently flatten each dough to 2cm thick round. Cut each round into 6 pieces.
- Place Scones on prepared tray. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until golden and hollow when tapped on top. I baked 12 minutes.
- Cool them on a wire rack.
- *Note: I enjoy this Scone with Butter and Orange Marmalade today.