Since I discovered that store bought Granola often contains quite a lot of sugar, I started making this Granola (Oven-baked Muesli) by myself. The ingredients are almost identical with my Muesli Bar ingredients. Basically sweetness comes from ripe bananas and dried fruit. This Granola is so good with my fresh home-made yogurt.
5 to 6 cups Rolled Oats *OR whole bag of Rolled Oats
2 Ripe Bananas
1/4 cup Coconut Oil OR Canola Oil
1 to 2 tablespoons Honey *optional
Dried Fruit & Nuts & Seeds & Shaved Coconut of your choice
*e.g. Roasted Almonds, Pepitas (Pumpkin Seeds), Sunflower Seeds, dried Sultanas, Currants, Raisins, Cranberries, Apricots and unsweetened Shaved Coconut Chips, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C.
- Melt Coconut Oil and mash ripe Bananas very well. The sweetness comes from the Bananas, but you may wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoons Honey for extra sweetness.
- Combine Oil, Bananas (and Honey), then add Rolled Oats and mix well.
- Turn out the mixture onto a baking tray and bake for about 40 to 50 minutes or until the mixture is light brown and toasty. *Important: You need to stir and turn the mixture several times for even colour and to make sure the mixture is cooking evenly.
- Roughly chop the nuts and dried fruit if they are large.
- Remove the mixture from the oven and add the other ingredients, and mix evenly.
- Let cool before enjoying. It is so nice with unsweetened fresh yoghurt and fruit.
Leave a Reply