Since I discovered that store bought Granola products often contain sugar or golden syrup, I started making this Granola (Oven-baked Muesli) by myself. The ingredients are almost identical with my Muesli Bar ingredients. Basically sweetness comes from ripe bananas and dried fruit. This Granola is so good with my fresh home-made yogurt.
Rolled Oats 5 to 6 cups *OR whole bag of Rolled Oats
Ripe Bananas 2
Coconut Oil 2 to 3 tablespoons *melted
Honey 1 to 2 tablespoons *optional
Dried Fruit & Nuts & Seeds & Shaved Coconut of your choice
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C.
2. Melt Coconut Oil and mash the Bananas quite well. The sweetness comes from the Bananas, but you may wish to add 1 to 2 tablespoons of Honey for extra sweetness when Bananas are not sweet enough for you.
3. Combine Oil, Bananas (and Honey), then add Rolled Oats and mix well.
4. Turn the mixture out onto a baking tray and bake for about 40 to 50 minutes or until the mixture is light brown and toasty. You need to stir and turn the mixture several times for even colour and to make sure the mixture is cooking evenly.
5. Roughly chop the nuts and dried fruit that are large.
6. Remove the mixture from the oven and add other ingredients. My suggestions are coarsely chopped Roasted Almonds, Pepita (Pumpkin Seeds), Sunflower Seeds, dried Sultanas, Currants, Raisins, Cranberries, chopped Apricots and unsweetened Shaved Coconut Chips, etc.
7. Let cool before enjoying. It is so nice with unsweetened fresh yoghurt and fresh fruit or frozen berries.