If you have a food processor, home-made ice-cream is easy to make. Some types of blenders are powerful enough to make it, too. When you make frozen fruit desserts, you simple process frozen fruit pieces with cream or yoghurt. You make Vanilla Ice Cream in the same way. By adding extra ingredients, you can create a variety of flavours.
1 cup Milk *250ml
1/4 to 1/3 cup Sugar
1/2 Vanilla Bean *OR 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3 Egg Yolks
1/2 cup Thickened Cream
- Place Milk in a saucepan. Split the Vanilla Bean and scrape the seeds, and add seeds and the bean to the milk. Bring to the boil, then turn off the heat and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Place Egg Yolks and Sugar in a bowl, and beat, using a whisk, until pale. Gradually pour the milk over, stirring, then return to the saucepan.
- Cook over low heat, stirring, for 2-3 minutes until it is slightly thickened. When the custard is cool enough, freeze in ice trays.
- Place frozen custard cubes in the food processor, pulse until coarsely chopped. Then start processing, gradually pour Cream through the feed tube, and process until smooth and creamy, scraping down the sides once or twice.
- Serve immediately OR place in the freezer to firm up.
- *Note: Additional ingredients should be mixed with the ice cream when it is soft after the processing, then placed in the freezer for 1-2 hours.
• Rum Soaked Raisins/Sultanas
• Crumbled ‘Oreo’ Cookies
• Salted Caramel
• ‘Azuki’ Red Bean Paste
• Coarsely Chopped Chocolate
• Nuts and Fruit of your choice
• Mashed Banana
• Ground Black Sesame Seeds
Possibilities are endless!