A few weeks ago, when ALDI was having German Food Fest, I bought a jar of Sauerkraut. As I had never tasted German-made Sauerkraut before, I was excited to eat it. Now, to be honest about it, I couldn’t eat it because it was too sour!
Then I remembered my mother’s Pickled Daikon that always turned very sour after several months. She used to slice it thinly and stir-fry with sesame oil and season with sugar and soy sauce. My sisters and I hated the sour Daikon but loved the stir-fried spicy Daikon.
I have transformed ALDI’s very sour Sauerkraut to this yummy dish. It is still sour but my children said it was tasty and they enjoyed it with freshly cooked rice.
Sesame Oil 1 tablespoon
Sugar 1 to 2 tablespoons
Soy Sauce 1 tablespoon
Garlic Chilli Sauce 2 teaspoons
Toasted Sesame Seeds 1 tablespoon
Spring Onion 1 to 2 &finely chopped
- Drain Sauerkraut to remove excess liquid but do not squeeze.
- Heat Sesame Oil in a frying pan over medium heat, cook Sauerkraut for a few minutes. Season with Sugar, Soy Sauce and Garlic Chilli Sauce.
- Add Sesame Seeds and combine.
- Sprinkle with chopped Spring Onion and enjoy.
- *Cooking some sliced Pork with Sauerkraut makes a more satisfying dish that people like my husband and son would like better.