My son was a very fussy eater when he was young. He hated most vegetables. Luckily he loved curry and if vegetables were in curry, he ate anything. But I couldn’t cook curry every day, so I needed to be creative. This ‘Carrot Rice’ was one of my creations to make him eat vegetables. I often use ‘Carrot Rice’ for the base of ‘Doria’ dishes because it looks pretty and nutritious.
There are two methods to cook ‘Carrot Rice’. Cook rice with grated Carrot OR mix cooked rice with cooked grated carrot. Whichever convenient method is equally good.
2 cups (*180ml cup) Short Grain Rice
20g Butter *cut into small cubes
1/2 to 1 Carrot *finely grated
Salt & Pepper
1/2 cup Frozen Peas *optional
- Wash Rice by stirring it thoroughly in water and drain. Repeat this a few more times until water flows through clear, then drain.
- Place into the rice cooker’s inner pot, add Water (OR Stock) up to the 2-cups-marking. Add grated Carrot and gently stir, and add Butter. Season with Salt & Pepper.
- Press ‘COOK’ button to start cooking. When the rice is cooked, let it steamed for 10 minutes. Then loosen and mix gently. Mix in frozen peas, and season again if required.
- Place Butter and grated Carrot in a heat-proof bowl. Cook in the microwave for 1 minutes, stir then cook 1 more minutes.
- Add Frozen Peas and cooked Rice, mix to combine. Season with Salt & Pepper. Alternatively you can stir-fry all ingredients using a frying pan.