Today I tried to cook ‘Ukrainian Pork Meatballs’ replacing Pork Mince with Chicken. I deep-fried them because the mixture was very soft and deep-frying was easier. The meatballs turned out like Chicken Nuggets, so I decided to call them Chicken Nuggets. I strongly recommend to use coarsely minced Chicken Breast Fillets. It is easy to chop up using a knife. If you have a food processor, the whole preparation would be super easy.
500 to 600g Chicken Breast Fillets
1/2 to 1 Onion *grated & drained, OR very finely chopped
1 clove Garlic *grated
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Ground Pepper
2 tablespoons Mayonnaise *I used Japanese Mayonnaise
1/2 cup ‘Panko’ Breadcrumbs *plus extra if required
Oil for frying
- Finely grate Onion and drain. I recommend to press the grated Onion to remove excess water. You can very finely chop up.
- Chop up Chicken Breast Fillets into coarse mince. You can use already minced Chicken Breasts, but I strongly recommend to add some coarsely chopped meat as well.
- In a mixing bowl, combine Chicken, drained Onion, Garlic, Egg, Salt & Pepper and Mayonnaise. Add ‘Panko’ Breadcrumbs and mix well. If the mixture is too soft, add extra ‘Panko’, but please remember you won’t need to roll the mixture into balls, and it can be fairly soft.
- *Note: If you don’t have ‘Panko’ Breadcrumbs, you can add Flour and Corn Starch instead. The texture should be like soft dough.
- Heat Oil, at least 5cm deep, use 2 large spoons to drop some large bite-size clumps of the mixture into the Oil, and deep fry. Turn them over a few times. When nicely browned and cooked through, transfer to a rack and drain the oil.
- *Note: Shallow frying is an option. Use a generous amount of Oil to cook.
- Serve with Ketchup, BBQ Sauce OR your favourite sauce.
Leave a Reply