This is what my mother used to cook in an effort to make my youngest sister, who was a fussy eater, eat vegetables. My mother used her food processor. She cut Chicken Fillets into bite-size and processed with all vegetables. It is the quickest method. Today I used Chicken Mince and grated vegetables. When my children were young, I made these Rissoles quite often as my son was also a fussy eater. He loved curry flavour, so I used Curry Powder to season, but you can use any Spices and Herbs of your choice.
500g Chicken Mince *OR Chicken Fillets, see ‘Method 4’
3 cupfuls finely chopped OR shredded Vegetables *firmly packed
*Note: Today I used 1/2 Onion, 1 Carrot, some Broccoli, 1 small Zucchini
*Note: You can add some grated Parmesan Cheese
1 to 2 cloves Garlic *grated
3/4 teaspoon Salt *alter the amount
Spices OR Herbs of your choice *I added 1 tablespoon Curry Powder
1 cup ‘Panko’ Breadcrumbs *alter the amount depending on the moisture of the mixture
Oil for cooking
- Coarsely grate OR finely chop up all Vegetables and place in a large mixing bowl. If you use Zucchini, squeeze the coarsely grated Zucchini and remove excess water. *Note: I added 3 cupfuls, but you can add as much as you want.
- *Note: For fussy eaters, it might be a good idea to pre-cook the vegetables slightly to soften them. You can simply heat them in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove excess water.
- Add all other ingredients and mix well. Alter the amount of Breadcrumbs depending on the wetness of the mixture. I added 1 cup today.
- Food Processor Method: If you use a food processor, you don’t need to use Chicken Mince. Cut Chicken Fillets into smaller pieces, cut vegetables also into smaller pieces, and process all together.
- Divide the mixture into 12 to 16 portions, roll into balls, and flatten into rounds or oblongs.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons Oil in a frying pan over medium low heat and cook until both sides are nicely browned and cooked through. You would need to cook them in 2 batches. *Note: Covering the pan with a lid would help the cooking process.
- Enjoy with your favourite sauce. Serve them with Rice, Potato OR Pasta. Today I served with Black Bean Rice.