Sponge for Roll Cake should be moist and soft, otherwise it tends to break OR crack when rolled up. I always bake it at higher temperature for about 10 minutes to avoid the Sponge get dry. Today I added Coffee to my basic Roll Cake sponge, and made this yummy Tiramisu-inspired Coffee Roll Cake.
Swiss Roll Pan (33cm x 23cm) OR similar size Pan
1 tablespoon Instant Coffee Granules
1 tablespoon Hot Water
4 Eggs *at room temperature
1/3 cup Caster Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
20g Butter *melted
1/2 cup Self-Raising Flour
1 teaspoon Cocoa Powder for dusting
1/2 teaspoon Ground Coffee Beans
1 teaspoon Instant Coffee Granules
3 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1 teaspoon Corn Starch
1/4 cup Warm Water
1 teaspoon Marsala Wine *OR your favourite liquor such as Brandy, Rum, etc.
1/2 cup Thickened Cream
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
- To make Coffee Syrup, combine Instant Coffee Granules, Caster Sugar and Corn Starch in a small saucepan, add Warm Water, and mix well. *Note: You may wish to add your favourite liquor.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the syrup thickens. Cool completely before use.
- Preheat oven to 200℃. Line the base and sides of a Swiss roll pan with baking paper. Mix Instant Coffee Granules with 1 tablespoon Hot Water in a small bowl.
- Use an electric mixer to beat Eggs and Sugar and make the mixture very thick and pale. Add Coffee mixture, Vanilla and melted Butter, mix to combine. The volume will be slightly reduced but do not worry. Sift in Flour and gently combine.
- Pour into the prepared pan, spread evenly, and smooth the surface. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the surface is dry to the touch. Cover with a tea towel and allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, whip Mascarpone, Cream and Caster Sugar until soft peaks form.
- Place the cooled sponge onto a clean work surface and peel the baking paper, but do not discard the paper. Spread the cooled Coffee Syrup over the sponge, whichever side you prefer, spread whipped Cream mixture, then roll the sponge to enclose filling using the paper. Cool in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Before you serve, dust the top with Cocoa Powder mixed with Ground Coffee.