This is what is known as Florentines in Australia. It’s very different from what is known as Florentines in Japan. It seems ‘Cornflakes’ is the key ingredient here in Australia. The method is simple. Combine Condensed Milk and Cornflakes, and add Dry Fruit and Nuts. Then bake in the oven at rather low temperature. Finally, coat the bottom side with Chocolate.
2/3 cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
2 cups Cornflakes *gently crushed
1 cup coarsely chopped Roasted Almonds, slivered Almonds OR Almond Flakes *OR other Nuts of your choice
1/2 cup Dry Fruit *e.g. Sultanas, Raisins, Cranberries, etc.
2 tablespoons chopped Mixed Peel
1/4 cup Glacé Cherries *coarsely chopped
100g Chocolate *Milk Chocolate, Dark Chocolate OR White Chocolate
- Preheat oven to 150℃. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl. *Note: You can add as much ingredients as you want if you can combine them with the Condensed Milk.
- Place 12 clumps on each tray, pack and press lightly, and bake for 15 minutes OR until nicely browned. *Note: Keep an eye on them as they get browned quickly.
- Allow to cool on the trays until hardened. Then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Use a spoon to spread the melted Chocolate on the flat bottom side. Set aside in a cool place to allow Chocolate to set. Store in an airtight container.