I used to use Imitation Crab Meat (aka Crab Sticks) for this dish. Imitation Crab Meat is made of white fish paste, starch, sugar, egg whites and crab flavouring. These days I don’t use Imitation Crab Meat for cooking because I can’t find any good quality ones where I live, but you can use it if you like it. *Note: The black strips in the omelette in the photo are sliced Black Fungus.
100g Crab Meat *loosened or flaked
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
Salt & White Pepper
Optional Extra Ingredients
• Black Fungus OR Shiitake
• Cooked Bamboo Shoot Slices
• Carrot *thinly sliced
Oil for cooking
2 servings Freshly Cooked Rice
1/2 cup Chicken Stock *OR 1/2 cup Water & 1/2 teaspoon Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1/2 tablespoon Rice Vinegar *add extra if you like it more sour
1/2 tablespoon Potato Starch Flour
Salt *as required
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a small saucepan and mix well. Check the flavour, add Salt if required depending on the Chicken Stock you use. *Note: Do not start heating yet.
- For the Omelette, if you add extra ingredients, cook with small amount of Oil and lightly season with Salt & Pepper.
- You will cook two omelettes separately. Place 2 Eggs in a bowl and lightly whisk, season with 1 pinch of Salt. Add a half of Crab Meat and a half of the cooked extra ingredients and mix to combine.
- Heat 1 tablespoon Oil in a small frying pan or wok, cook the egg mixture to form a round omelette. Do not over cook.
- Half fill a bowl with freshly cooked rice and place the omelette on top.
- Repeat the process.
- Heat the saucepan with the sauce ingredients in it, stirring constantly until the sauce is thickened.
- Pour the sauce over the omelette and enjoy.