I like rustic biscotti baked in the traditional way without any butter, oil or milk. It is so easy to make and we can create our own variations by adding nuts, fruit and flavours of our choice. However, I haven’t found any simple and easy recipes that don’t require weighing. I don’t like weighing ingredients. I want to use just measuring cups. That’s why I created my own recipe.
24 to 28 Biscuits
1 & 1/4 cups Self-Rising Flour
1/2 cup Caster Sugar
1 pinch Salt
1 cup Pistachio Nuts & Dried Cranberries *coarsely chopped
2 Large Eggs *lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Place Self-Rising Flour, Sugar and 1 pinch of Salt in a large bowl and mix well and add Pistachio and Dried Cranberries and combine.
- Make a well in the centre and add the lightly beaten Eggs and Vanilla, mix and lightly knead with your hand until the mixture forms a ball. *Note: Do not over-knead as the mixture will get too soft and sticky.
- Divide the mixture in half, form each one into a log and place on prepared baking tray. Shape the logs to about 20cm in length and flatten slightly so they are about 2 to 3cm thick. Wetting your fingers with water may help this process.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool. When the logs are cool enough to handle safely, slice diagonally into 1cm thick biscuits using a bread knife or serrated knife.
- Arrange the sliced biscuits back onto the baking tray. Reduce the heat to 140°C, and bake for 15 to 20 more minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.