I had some Lemons and wanted to make Lemon flavoured cake or something, but I didn’t want to use the oven because the weather was too hot. Luckily I had a packet of Marie Biscuits and I made this Australian classic Lemon Slice. You don’t need to bake anything. It’s super easy to make.
24 x 4-5cm Squares
250g Plain Sweet Biscuits *I used Marie Biscuits
*Note: You can replace a part of Sweet Biscuits with Desiccated Coconut if you like it.
80g Butter *cut into small pieces
1/2 cup Condensed Milk
Zest of 1/2 Lemon *grated
1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
Extra Butter OR Milk *optional
1 & 1/2 cups Icing Sugar
30g Butter *melted
1 & 1/2 tablespoons Lemon Juice *add extra if the icing is hard to spread
- Line a rectangle OR square cake tin with baking paper. I used 18cm x 27cm Cake Tin. Use a similar size tin.
- Crush OR process Plain Sweet Biscuits into fine crumbs. I used a tough plastic bag and a rolling pin. If there are some larger pieces in the crumbs, that’s OK.
- Place Butter, Condensed Milk, Lemon Zest and Juice in a saucepan, heat over low heat, and stir until Butter is melted and smooth.
- In a mixing bowl, combine crumbled Biscuits and Butter mixture. If it is too dry, add a small amount of extra Butter OR Milk. Place in the prepared tin, spread evenly, and press firmly.
- To make Lemon Icing, place all ingredients in a bowl and mix well until smooth. Spread the Icing over the biscuit base. Leave it in the fridge until firm.
- When the Icing is firm, take out from the tin, and use a sharp knife to cut into 4-5cm squares.
Leave a Reply