The very first ‘Cream Pan’ (Custard Bun) was made in Tokyo, Japan, more than 100 years ago. So this is Japanese! ‘Cream Pan’ is sweet bread roll filled with custard cream. I loved it when I was a little girl, and, of course, I still love it. I bet you would love it once you taste it.
3/4 cup Milk *warmed
1 teaspoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Dry Yeast
2 cups Bread Flour
2 tablespoons Caster Sugar
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 Egg *lightly whisked, save 1 tablespoon for brushing the buns later
20g Butter *softened
3 Egg Yolks
3-4 tablespoons Caster Sugar
2 tablespoons Plain Flour
1 cup Milk
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Make Custard: Place Egg Yolks and Sugar in a saucepan and combine well. Add Flour and mix well. Add warmed Milk and mix well. Cook over a medium to low heat, stirring constantly until custard comes to the boil and thickens.
- Alternative Microwave Method: Place all ingredients in a heat-proof bowl and whisk well to combine well. Cook in the microwave in medium power about 500W for 2 minutes. Mix well, then cook again in medium power for 2 minutes and mix well, and cook again for 1 minute and mix well.
- Make Bread Dough: Heat Milk and Sugar in microwave for 30 seconds. When it is warm, add Yeast and mix well.
- Combine Bread Flour, Caster Sugar and Salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour the yeast mixture, half of the lightly whisked Egg and softened Butter. Mix well to form a soft dough. Knead for 2 to 3 minutes, adding extra flour if required, until smooth and elastic.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Make Buns: Turn the dough onto lightly floured surface and divide into 8 even portions. Flatten each portion to about 10cm x 18cm oval. Place 1 heaped tablespoon of custard, fold in half to enclose pinching the edges.
- Place the bun on baking paper on a baking tray. Repeat with the remaining dough and custard, then set aside for about 1 hour to rise.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Add small amount of water to the remaining egg, brush the top of the buns with the egg mixture, and bake for 15 minutes or until nicely brown.