Home-style Tempura is easy to cook. You can find my ‘Tempura’ recipes on this website, but this one is unique. They are seasoned with Curry Powder and Salt. Even though you are not a fan of deep-fried food, you would love this deep-fried Cauliflower.
4 to 6 Servings
1 small head Cauliflower *700 to 800g
2 to 3 tablespoons Plain Flour *OR Self-Raising Flour
Oil for frying
Curry Flavoured Tempura Batter
1/2 cup Cold Water
1 Egg *whisked
1/2 cup Self-Raising Flour
2 to 3 tablespoons Potato Starch Flour *OR Corn Starch Flour
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoon Curry Powder
- Cut Cauliflower into florets and place them in a large bowl. Make sure the florets are in the size that is easy to eat. Sprinkle with Flour and toss so that all florets are coated well.
- Make curry flavoured Tempura Batter. Combine Self-Raising Flour, Potato Starch Flour (OR Corn Starch Flour), Salt and Curry Powder in a bowl. Add Egg and Cold Water, and mix lightly. *Note: This batter is thinner than the basic Tempura Batter.
- Heat Oil to 170°C to 180°C. The right temperature can be tested by dropping a little bit of batter into the oil. If the batter sinks a little into the oil, then comes back the surface, the temperature is right for frying.
- Dip the florets into Tempura Batter and slide them into the hot oil. Do not fry too many at once. Turn them over a few times. When the batter is light golden and crispy, take them out and lay them on a rack or paper towel to drain the oil. Try to retain the crunchy texture.
- Scatter Coriander leaves on top and serve warm.
Leave a Reply