I made this pie when I craved Samosa, that is a deep-fried South Asian pastry. The most popular filling of Samosa is a mixture of spiced Potatoes, Onions and Peas. I added Cheese for this pie. Samosa is NOT easy to make, but this pie is. Pastry should be basic Shortcrust Pastry, but you can use Puff Pastry if you prefer. Using store-bought pastry sheet, this pie is even easier.
4 to 6 Servings
4 large Potatoes *about 800g
1 Onion *cut into small pieces OR finely chopped
1 tablespoon Oil *I used Canola Oil
1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
1 small piece Ginger *grated
3 teaspoons Curry Powder
1 teaspoon Garam Masala
3/4 teaspoon Salt *alter the amount
1/2 cup Peas
1/2 cup grated Tasty Cheese (Cheddar) OR Cheese of your choice
1 cup (250ml) Plain Flour
1 pinch Salt
100g Butter *cut into small cubes
1 Egg *whisked well, save 1 tablespoon for brushing
*Note: You can use 2-3 tablespoons Cold Water instead of Egg. The softness of the pastry can be adjusted by adding extra Cold Water OR extra Flour.
- Peel Potatoes and cut into small pieces. Cook in salted Water until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat Oil and Cumin Seeds in a frying pan over medium low heat. When aromatic, add Onion and Garlic, and cook until Onion is soft. Add Ginger and Peas, and stir.
- Season with Curry Powder, Garam Masala and Salt. Drain Potato pieces and add to the frying pan, and combine well. Transfer to a mixing bowl and allow it to cool.
- Add grated Cheese and mix to combine, and fill a pie dish evenly. I recommend to pack the dish firmly.
- Preheat oven to 200°C
- To make Shortcrust Pastry, place Flour and Salt in a large bowl, add Butter and rub in with fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add Egg (OR COLD Water) and mix to combine. *Note: This process can be done using a food processor.
- Knead the dough gently on a lightly floured surface and shape into a disc. Roll it to the size larger than the pie dish, cover the Potato mixture, and trim off the pastry. You may wish to make a pattern on the edges. Make some cuts in the pastry and brush with the saved Egg.
- Bake for 30 minutes OR until nicely browned and cooked through. If it is getting dark too quickly, lower the heat.
Leave a Reply