In Japan, there is a type of Sushi called ‘Oshi-zushi’, that is made by pressing Sushi Rice and Toppings into a special mould, then it is cut into bite sized pieces to serve. This is a variation of it and it has become very popular. A round cake tin is used as mould, and it is decorated. This is a joyous food for special occasions such as children’s birthday. Making it can be a great family activity. Google with the key word ‘寿司ケーキ’, you will find loads of decoration ideas.
3 cups (180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Rice
75ml Rice Vinegar
4 tablespoons Sugar
1 & 1/4 teaspoons Salt
Canned Tuna (185g can) & Japanese Mayonnaise
1/2 Avocado *sliced
3 Eggs *finely scrambled
Sliced of Ham
Carrot *sliced and blanched in salted water
*Note: I cut them out using vegetable cutters
Smoked Salmon *formed into Rose flowers
Thin Omelet *thinly cut into noodles
Snow Peas, Sugar Snap Pea, Asparagus, Broccolini, Cucumber, etc.
- When you cook Rice for sushi, cook with slightly less amount of water to achieve firmer texture. Basically you need same volume of rice and water. If you are using Rice Cooker, set the water level slightly lower than the mark. *Note: Wash rice well before cooking.
- When rice is cooked, you need to let the rice steamed well.
- Make Sushi Vinegar by mixing the ingredients together.
- Pour the Sushi Vinegar over the HOT rice, then empty it into a large mixing bowl. Mix it well gently and thoroughly, fanning the rice with a fan or piece of cardboard to help the rice cool quickly. Cover the rice with a damp cloth to stop the rice drying out.
- While Rice is cooking and cooling down, prepare other ingredients for Topping and Filling.
- Line a round cake tin (I used 21cm tin) with plastic food wrap. Fill it with 1/2 Sushi Rice evenly and press down. Arrange Filling ingredients on the rice, cover with remaining 1/2 Sushi Rice, and press down.
- Place a serving plate on the tin, and flip it over to transfer the Sushi Cake onto the plate. Remove the food wrap.
- Decorate it with Topping ingredients. Children are very creative and they will enjoy decorating the cake.