I assume you have all-purpose Plain Flour in your kitchen. I recommend to stock Dry Yeast as well. Then you can make bread like this one any time. And you don’t need the oven. These bread are supposed to be cooked in a frying pan.
2 cups Plain Flour OR Self-Raising Flour
1 to 2 teaspoons Dry Yeast *1 teaspoon takes longer time to proof
1/2 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Sugar
2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil, Olive Oil OR melted Butter
3/4 cup Warm Water OR Warm Milk
- Combine Flour, Dry Yeast, Salt and Sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre and pour in the warm Water (OR warm Milk) and Oil. Mix well to form a soft dough. Knead for 2 to 3 minutes, adding extra flour if required, until smooth and elastic.
- Cover with a plate or plastic wrap. Set aside in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Divide the dough into 4 portions, roll each portion into a 1-2cm thick round. Place on a tray lined with baking paper, cover with a tea towel or plastic wrap, set aside in a warm place for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Heat a large nonstick frying pan or thick-base skillet over medium heat, then lower the heat to very low. Carefully place the round dough, the number of the dough depends on the size of the pan, cover with a lid, and cook for 4 minutes. Turn over, cover with the lid, and cook for 4 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack. Repeat with the remaining dough.
- To enjoy these bread, I recommend to slice them in half and toast. Today I spread Butter and Vegemite.