In the Halloween season last year, I made ‘Zombie Cookies’. It was great fun making those Zombie faces with cookie dough. This year, I decided to make Zombie Bento (a packed lunch). This Bento has been inspired by Chicken Soboro Don. I used Beef Mince instead of Chicken Mince, but you can use other Minced Meat or Canned Salmon, or etc. Actually, you can pack whatever you like. The main element is the Zombie face. This can be a great family activity.
1 serving Cooked Rice
1 Boiled Egg *cut in half
1/8 sheet Nori (Seaweed Sheet)
1 teaspoon Black Sesame Seeds *ground, you can use Furikake (Rice Sprinkles) instead
1/2 teaspoon Ketchup
1/2 teaspoon Soy Sauce *mixed with Ketchup
100g Beef Mince *OR Pork Mince, Chicken Mince, Canned Salmon, etc.
1 to 2 Shiitake *optional
1/2 teaspoon Oil
1 teaspoon Sugar
2 teaspoons Soy Sauce
1/2 teaspoon Oil
2 handfuls Baby Spinach
1/2 teaspoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon Toasted Sesame Seeds *lightly ground
- Today I packed Soboro above the face and Spinach Goma-ae below the face. You can pack whatever you like. Teriyaki Chicken is quite nice.
- To make Soboro, heat a small amount Oil in a small frying pan, cook Beef Mince (OR other minced meat or flaked fish) and sliced Shiitake, and season with Sugar and Soy Sauce.
- To make Spinach Goma-ae, heat a small amount Oil in a small frying pan, cook Baby Spinach, and season with Sugar, Soy Sauce and Toasted Sesame Seeds.
- Place Cooked Rice in the centre of a container leaving some room above and below. Use a wet teaspoon to sculpt the face. Place Egg for eyes and create shadow with ground Black Sesame Seeds.
- Cut out Nori sheet and decorate eyes, nose and mouth. I also used a mixture of Ketchup and Soy Sauce to decorate the mouth.
- Fill the rooms with Soboro and Spinach Goma-ae (OR other food of your choice).