The Kale in my veggie garden, which I sowed the seeds eleven months ago, is now finally close to the end of season. I have created several new Kale recipes this season and this is one of the best. I am quite sure many children who hate Kale would enjoy this salad.
Kale Leaves 150 to 160g
Apple 1 to 2 *I used 2 small apples
Roasted Almonds 1/4 cup *very coarsely chopped
Japanese Mayonnaise 2 tablespoons
Lemon Juice OR White Wine Vinegar 1 tablespoon
Sugar 2 teaspoons
Salt & Freshly Cracked Pepper
- Remove thick hard stems from Kale. Cut the leaves about 7 to 8mm width.
- Boil a kettle of water. Place the leaves in a colander or a large strainer, and pour the boiled hot water carefully over the leaves evenly. This will reduce the volume of the leaves and remove the unpleasant smell as the hot water cooks the leaves.
- Pour cold water over to stop cooking further, drain and squeeze to remove excess water.
- Cut Apples half in half, making quarters. Remove the core, then slice. Chop up the Roasted Almonds very coarsely.
- Make the dressing by mixing Mayonnaise, Lemon Juice or Vinegar, and Sugar in a small bowl.
- Place Kale, Apples and Almonds in a large bowl, add Salt & Pepper and the dressing. Mix and combine well.