When I cook Crumbed Cutlets, I usually coat the meat with Flour, Egg, then Breadcrumbs. This method is different. It uses a batter. Beef and Pork are popular meat for this dish, but Lamb would be good, too. I always add some vegetables, but I should select Vegetables that can be cooked very quickly or can be eaten undercooked. Because cooking time is short, hard and bitter Onion, for example, would remain hard and bitter.
500g Beef, Lamb OR Pork *cut into 2-3cm pieces
Salt & Pepper
Additional Vegetable *e.g. Capsicum, seasonal sweet Onion, Okra, thick Spring Onion, Mushrooms, etc.
*Note: Cooking time is short. I recommend to use Vegetables that can be cooked very quickly OR can be eaten undercooked.
Breadcrumbs *fine type recommended
Oil for frying
‘Tonkatsu’ Sauce OR Sauce of your choice
1/2 cup Plain Flour
1 pinch Salt
1/4 cup Water
1/4 cup Milk
- Cut Meat and Vegetables into similar bite-size pieces. Thread them onto skewers. Lightly season with Salt & Pepper.
- To make batter, mix all ingredients until smooth.
- Heat Oil to 170 to 180℃. Dip a skewer in the batter (OR cover with the batter using a spoon), and drain excess batter. Then coat with Breadcrumbs. Fry until cooked through and golden, and place on a rack and drain the oil. I recommend to cook only a few skewers at a time.
- Enjoy with ‘Tonkatsu’ Sauce OR your favourite sauces.
- *Note: You can make Vegetable only skewers or Seafood skewers, and cook them in the same way.
Leave a Reply