‘Mabo Dōfu’ (Mapo Tofu) is one of the foods that I sometimes crave for. The other day, when I wanted to cook it, I didn’t have Tofu. I sometimes cook the same dish using Eggplant OR Harusame Noodles, but I didn’t have them either. Then an idea came to me. How about Potato?
500g Potatoes *peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
250 to 300g Pork Mince
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
1 small piece Ginger *finely chopped OR grated
4 Spring Onions *finely chopped, save some for topping
1 tablespoon Oil
1 tablespoon Dark Colour Miso
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Sugar
2 to 3 teaspoons Toban Djan (Chili Bean Sauce)
2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine)
1 cup Chicken Stock *OR 1 cup Water & 1 teaspoon Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
1 tablespoon Potato Starch
- Peel Potatoes, cut into bite-size pieces, cook in the salted Water until soft, then drain.
- Place all the Sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well. This has to be done before you start cooking Pork Mince.
- Heat Oil in a large frying pan or a wok, cook Pork Mince, Garlic, Ginger and Spring Onions, breaking up the mince.
- Before you add the sauce to the pan, mix it well again. Then pour in the sauce and bring it to the boil and let it thicken.
- Add the drained Potato and gently mix and combine. Sprinkle with the saved Spring Onion and serve.
Leave a Reply