My Japanese style ‘Mabo Dofu’ recipe is quite versatile and you can replace Tofu with vegetables such as eggplant. All eggplant lovers should try this dish!
It is very easy to cook but you need patience to precook eggplant pieces until they are tender as crunchy eggplant is not very nice. If you are OK with the oil intake, you can deep fry the eggplant pieces. But I prefer cooking them in a frying pan, though I still need generous amount of oil.
2 medium Eggplants
250 to 300g Pork Mince
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
1 small piece Ginger *finely chopped
4 Thick Spring Onions *finely chopped
1 tablespoon Dark Colour Miso
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Toban Djan (Chili Bean Sauce)
2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine)
1 cup Chicken Stock *OR Water 1 cup & Asian Chicken Bouillon Powder 1 teaspoon
1 tablespoon Sesame Oil
1 tablespoon Potato Starch
- Cut off the green bit of Eggplants and cut in half or quarter lengthways, then cut diagonally into small pieces OR cut into 1.5 to 2cm thick pieces.
- Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons of Oil in a frying pan and cook Eggplant pieces until tender. Repeat the process until all Eggplant pieces are cooked.
- Place all the sauce ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Heat a frying pan or a wok, cook Pork Mince breaking up, add Garlic, Ginger and Spring Onions.
- Mix the sauce mixture again, then pour it in and bring to a boil and let it thicken.
- Add pre-cooked Eggplant and gently mix and combine.
- Serve with freshly cooked rice.
I wanted soft eggplant coz I was cooking for little kids. I used chicken broth to soften as I was frying eggplant and covered the pan. The rest of the chicken broth went into the sauce instead of using water.
I put this recipe on regular menu, with one trick (I never read about it anywhere, I guess, it’s my own invention): if you don’t like oily eggplant, start frying with like 3 tbsp, but if eggplant absorbs all of it, do not add more oil, add a little bit of water, and simmer eggplant in it, till it’s soft. I use this methods for variety dishes with eggplants and it works great every time.
Hope, I can be any helpful. Your site is very good and helped me a lot to change family menu in healthier way. Kids love your dishes too!