I cooked Mixed Grain today. Because I added some Black Rice, it turned purple. I was planning to make a Rice Salad, but the colour of the Mixed Grains reminded me my ‘Cuban Black Beans’, and I ended up making this salad. Because it was so good, I am now writing down how I made this salad.
6 to 8 Servings
2 cups (*180ml cup) Mixed Grains
*Today I used Medium Grain Brown Rice, Black Rice, Barley, Quinoa and Wild Rice.
3 cups (*180ml cup) Water
1 tablespoon Oil
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1 Green Capsicum
1/4 to 1/2 Red Onion *finely chopped
1 can (400g) Black Beans *rinsed and drained
1/2 cup Edamame Beans *optional, but recommended
2 to 3 tablespoonfuls chopped Pickled Jalapeño
*Note: You can use your favourite salad dressing instead.
3 tablespoons Lemon Juice OR Vinegar of your choice
2 tablespoons Olive Oil OR Oil of your choice
1 small Garlic *grated
1/2 teaspoon Sugar
Salt & Black Pepper
- Wash the mix of Grains, drain, and place in a large sauce pan or rice cooker’s inner pot. Add Water, Oil and Salt. *Note: The amount of Water depends on the types of the grains.
- Cook over low heat until water is gone, OR let the rice cooker to cook. I used my rice cooker’s ‘Brown Rice’ setting. After water is gone, you need to let it steam at least for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare other ingredients. Combine all the Dressing ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Season with Salt & Pepper to suit your taste.
- Cut Capsicum into the size of a bean and add to the bowl. Add finely chopped Red Onion, Jalapeño and Beans as well, and mix to combine.
- Add the cooked Grains and mix to combine. You might need to add extra Salt & Pepper.
Leave a Reply