‘Oyako’ means ‘Parent and Child’. In this recipe, Chicken and Eggs are used, thus this dish is called ‘Oyak Don. This is one of the dishes that I cook most often. Sometimes I cook this with Tofu instead of Chicken. Tofu and Eggs can’t be called ‘Oyako’ or ‘Parent and Child’, though it is equally yummy.
Freshly Cooked Rice 4 servings
Oil 1 tablespoon
Chicken Thigh Fillets 500g
Onion 1 to 2
Dashi Stock 1 cup *OR Chicken Stock
Spring Onion 2 to 3
Sugar 2 tablespoons
Soy Sauce 4 to 5 tablespoons
Mirin 2 tablespoons
Eggs 4 to 6
- Cut Chicken into bite size pieces and slice the onion.
- Heat Oil in a frying pan and cook Chicken. When the Chicken changes colour, add the Onion slices.
- Add Dashi Stock, Sugar, Mirin and Soy Sauce and cook over a medium heat.
- Beat the Eggs and pour them over but DO NOT stir. Sprinkle Spring Onions over the top and cover the pan with a lid until the Eggs are set. I actually like the Eggs half cooked.
- Half fill a bowl with Freshly Cooked Rice and cover it with the Chicken mixture.
Leave a Reply