‘Rum Raisin Cream Cookies’ are very popular in Japan, and you can purchase them from most supermarkets and ‘combini’ stores. It’s quite easy to make at home. You can use your own shortbread recipe for the cookies. I used my ‘Easiest Sweet Shortcrust Pastry’. Rum Raisin Cream is commonly made with White Chocolate and Butter. You may prefer White Chocolate Ganache. Find the recipe here.
Today I made 8 Sandwiches (7cm x 4.5cm Rectangle)
100g Butter *softened
1/4 cup Caster Sugar
1 Egg Yolk
1 cup Plain Flour
*Note: You can replace some of the Four with Almond Meal.
Rum Raisin Cream
*According to the amount of cookies you make, increase the amount of cream. It’s same weight of White Chocolate and Butter, then add Sultanas OR Raisins steeped in Rum.
80g White Chocolate *coarsely chopped
80g Butter *softened
1/3 cup Sultanas OR Raisins steeped in Rum *OR add as much as you want
- To make cookies, mix softened Butter and Sugar until smooth. Add Egg Yolk and mix until creamy.
- Add Plain Flour and mix as you cut the butter mixture into Flour. After mixing, it might look DRY. Use your hands to bring the mixture together into dough.
- Place the dough between two sheets of baking paper and roll out until 5mm thin, and place in the fridge until firm. Cut out shapes. *Note: Today I cut the dough into 7cm x 4.5cm rectangles and made 16 cookies.
- *Note: You can roll the dough into a log, wrap with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm. When it is firm, remove the plastic wrap, and slice the dough into rounds.
- Place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper, and bake in the preheated oven at 170℃ for 15 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make Rum & Raisin Cream, place White Chocolate in a heat-proof bowl. Heat in the microwave or over simmering water in a saucepan, and melt until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, beat softened Butter, add the melted White Chocolate, and mix well. Add Sultanas OR Raisins steeped in Rum, and mix to combine. Cool in the fridge, stirring occasionally, until firm enough to spread on the cookies.
- Sandwich the cream with 2 cookies.
Leave a Reply