The other day I bought a bag of Frozen Scallops that was on special. Fresh Scallops are quite expensive where I live and I rarely buy them, but I tend to jump at Frozen Scallops on special. Using those rather small Frozen Scallops, I made this delicious Doria today. White Sauce (Béchamel Sauce) is super easy to make if you have a microwave. You can use Prawns instead of Scallops.
4 Servings *The above photo is 2 servings
4 servings warm Cooked Rice
30g Butter OR Oil *plus extra for greasing the baking dish
1 Onion *thinly sliced
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
300g OR more Scallops *thawed if frozen, pat dried with paper towel if wet
Salt & Pepper
120g Baby Spinach
1 cup grated Tasty Cheese (Cheddar)
1/4 cup Plain Flour
2 cups Milk
Salt & Pepper
- Preheat oven to 200℃.
- Heat Butter in a frying pan, cook Onion and Garlic. When Onion is soft, add Scallops and cook both sides, and season with Salt & Pepper. Add Baby Spinach. It would be a little tricky to cook, but the volume of Baby Spinach will instantly reduce.
- Place warm Cooked Rice in a large mixing bowl, add Scallops and Spinach mixture, and mix to combine. Add extra Salt & Pepper if required. *Note: You can add Cooked Rice to the mixture in the pan and combine in the pan if you can do it.
- To make White Sauce, heat Butter in a saucepan over medium heat until melted and foaming, add Flour and cook stirring until mixture bubbles. Slowly add Milk, stirring constantly until sauce boils and thickens. Season with Salt & Pepper.
- *Note: White Sauce can be made in the microwave and it is super easy. Find the method at ‘Super Easy White Sauce’ recipe page.
- Lightly grease a large baking dish, place the Rice mixture and pour the White Sauce over the Rice. Cover with grated cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden