Every cook should know how to make White Sauce (Béchamel Sauce). The method that I learned is simple. ‘Cook same weight of Butter and Flour until bubbles, then add Milk gradually and simmer, stirring with a wooden spoon, until the sauce thickens.’ Most people use a saucepan to make White Sauce, but it is Super Easy if you have a microwave.
20g (2 tablespoons) Plain Flour
1 cup Milk
*Note: Thickness of the sauce can be altered by reducing or increasing the amount of Milk.
Salt & White Pepper
Super Easy Microwave Method
- Place Butter and Flour in a heat-proof bowl. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds or until Butter melts. Mix well with a whisk until smooth.
- Add cold Milk (but DO NOT try to whisk), and heat in the microwave for 1 minutes. (This process is to warm the Milk.) Whisk well until the mixture is well combined and smooth.
- Heat in the microwave for 1 minute, take it out and whisk well, then heat again and bring to the boil. Once it’s boiled and thickened, take it out and whisk well until smooth. Season with Salt and White Pepper.
- *Note: I used 1100W power Microwave. Alter the heating time accordingly.
- Melt Butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add Plain Flour and cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until mixture bubbles. Gradually add Milk, constantly stirring.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to simmer, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Season with Salt and White Pepper.