These Flatbreads have layered flaky texture that is created by Sesame Oil. Bread Dough is very simple to make, but you need to create layers, similar to Croissant dough. How? Well, it’s much easier than Croissant dough. It requires a little bit of work, but it’s worth a try.
1 & 1/4 cups Plain Flour (All Purpose Flour)
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Hot Water
1 to 2 teaspoon Sesame Oil
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
*Note: You can use Coriander OR Garlic Chives instead of Spring Onion
Vegetable Oil for cooking *I used Canola Oil
- Combine Flour and Salt in a bowl. Add Hot Water and mix until a dough comes together. Knead until smooth.
- On a well floured surface, roll out the dough into a thin (about 2-3mm) oblong, spread Sesame Oil thinly, scatter finely chopped Spring Onion, then roll it up into a long log.
- Cut the log into 4 pieces. Form each piece into a round (like a doughnut with no hole), pinching the joints. Flatten it with your hand, then roll out to about 5mm thick.
- Heat a frying pan over medium low heat, and add some Oil, which should be a rather generous amount. Place one Flatbread, wet both sides with Oil, cover with a lid, and cook until both sides are nicely browned.
- It is tasty as it is, but you may wish to enjoy with your favourite dipping sauce. Soy Sauce with Rāyu (Chilli Oil) OR Chilli Sauce is recommended.