This dish has been inspired by a European style dish of Clams that I saw on the internet. Clams were cooked with Garlic & Tomato. I instantly thought about adding Soy Sauce and Toban Djan (Chilli Bean Sauce) to that dish. Added Spring Onion instead of Herbs. This is an Asian style dish of Clams. It’s yummy!
300g Clams *Today I used ‘Pippi’
1 cup Salted Water *1 cup Water & 1 teaspoon Salt
1 tablespoons Oil of your choice *Today I used Sesame Oil & Canola Oil
1 clove Garlic *finely chopped
1 Tomato *diced
1 Spring Onion *finely chopped
1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
1 to 2 teaspoons Toban Djan (Chilli Bean Sauce) OR Chilli Sauce
2 tablespoons Sake (Rice Wine)
1/2 teaspoon Sugar
1 teaspoon Soy Sauce
- Clean Clams and place them in a deep plate or container in a single layer. Pour over Salted Water, set aside in a cool place for 1-2 hours, and let them spit out the grit. *Note: Some store-bought Clams are ready to use without doing this process.
- Clean the Clams with fresh water before you cook them.
- Combine all the Sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat Oil and Garlic in a frying pan over medium heat. When aromatic, add cleaned Clams and diced Tomato, and stir. Pour the Sauce over, cover with a lid, and cook until all Clams are open, shaking the pan occasionally.
- Remove the lid and toss to combine. Sprinkle with finely chopped Spring Onion and enjoy immediately. *Note: This dish can be mix with freshly cooked Pasta.