If you are an expert of making this dessert, it is probably quite simple to make, but I have found it quite daunting. This is my own method that requires no particular equipment. You only need a round cake tin, and a microwave. It is absolutely easy and anyone can make this ‘Super Easy Tarte Tatin’.
20cm Round Cake Tin
5 to 6 Apples *choose Apple that retains the texture when soft, such as Pink Lady
3 to 4 tablespoons Caster Sugar *OR Brown Sugar
1 sheet Butter Puff Pastry
Softly Whipped Cream, Creme Fraiche or Ice Cream to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200℃. Line the bottom of a cake tin with baking paper.
- Peel Apples, remove the core and cut into quarters. Place Apple wedges, Butter and Sugar in a large heat-proof bowl, cover with a plate, and cook in the microwave for 2 minutes. Toss to mix, and cook for 2 more minutes, toss to mix, then cook for 2 more minutes.
- *Note: Cooking time depends on your microwave. I used my 1100W microwave. Apple wedges need to be half-cooked at this stage.
- Arrange the Apples in the prepared cake tin. There should be plenty of buttery liquid in the bowl. Heat in the microwave for 2 minutes or until thickened, then pour it over the Apple. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the bottom is slightly caramelised.
- Cut the Puff Pastry sheet into a round that is slightly larger than the cake tin size. Make a lots of holes using a fork. Place it over the hot Apple wedges and quickly tuck in the edges all round.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until nicely browned. Separate the edges from the sides of the tin, and flip out the Tarte Tatin onto a serving plate. Serve with Whipped Cream, Creme Fraiche or Ice Cream.