This is a variation of ‘Chirashi-zushi’ that is a type of Sushi. ‘Chirashi-zushi’ is a kind of decorated rice salad and a variety of ingredients can be used. Teriyaki Chicken is my Aussie family’s favourite ingredient. Today I added all leftover salad vegetables that I could find in the fridge. Radish was surprisingly good.
2 cups (*180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Rice
50ml Rice Vinegar
40g (about 40ml) Sugar
Slightly less than 1 teaspoon (4g) Salt
500g Chicken Thigh Fillets
1 tablespoon Mirin
1 tablespoon Sugar
2 tablespoons Soy Sauce
2 Eggs *cooked into Thin Omelette Strips
Salad Vegetables *Today I used Lettuce, Cucumber, Radishes, Avocado
*Note: Carrot, Snow Peas, Edamame, Sugar Snap Peas and Capsicum are also suitable.
1 sheet Toasted Sushi Nori *torn into small pieces
Toasted Sesame Seeds
- Cook Rice with slightly less amount of water to achieve firmer texture. Make Sushi Vinegar by mixing Rice Vinegar, Sugar and Salt.
- When Rice is cooked and steamed, pour the Sushi Vinegar over the HOT rice, then empty it into a large mixing bowl. Mix it well gently and thoroughly, fanning the rice with a fan or piece of cardboard to help the rice cool quickly. Cover the Rice with a damp cloth to stop the Rice drying out.
- Prepare other ingredients. Cook Eggs into Thin Omelette Strips.
- To cook Teriyaki Chicken, lightly season Chicken Thigh Fillets with Salt, heat a frying pan, lightly oil it if required, and cook Chicken until nicely browned. Remove excess Oil using paper towel if you want to do so, then add Mirin, Sugar and Soy Sauce. Cook until the sauce thickens. Cut into bite-size pieces.
- *Note: You can cut Chicken Thigh Fillets before you cook them.
- Place Sushi Rice on individual serving plates, cover with Thin Omelette Strips and Salad Vegetables, place Chicken on top, and sprinkle with some Toasted Nori and Sesame Seeds.