In Melbourne where I live, January is in the middle of summer. It can be really hot and the temperature could go over 40℃. I don’t want to cook anything on such a hot day. Cold Noodle Dish is ideal for me. If you keep a bottle of ‘Mentsuyu’ (Noodle Dipping Sauce) in fridge, this dish can be prepared in 10 minutes.
1 Serving Cooked Udon *Frozen type recommended
1 can (95g) Tuna *I used Tuna in Springwater
1 tablespoon Japanese Mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Wasabi Paste *add more if you like it
About 1/4 cup ‘Mentsuyu’ *see ‘Method 1’ to find how to make ‘Mentsuyu’
1/2 sheet Toasted Nori *torn into small pieces
Finely chopped Spring Onion
Toasted Sesame Seeds
- To make 1/4 cup ‘Mentsuyu’, combine following ingredients in a small heat-proof bowl. Heat in the microwave and cool.
– 3 tablespoons Water
– 1/8 teaspoon Dashi Powder
– 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
– 2/3 tablespoon Mirin
*Note: If you like cold noodles, it’s good to have a bottle of ‘Mentsuyu’ in the fridge. It can be used for many dishes as a seasoning.
- Heat Cooked Udon Noodles in boiling water, rinse under cold water, then drain.
- Drain canned Tuna and squeeze to remove excess water. If you use Tuna in water, season lightly with Salt. Tuna in brine doesn’t need Salt as it is already salty.
- Add Japanese Mayonnaise and Wasabi Paste, and mix well.
- Place drained cold Udon Noodles in a deep plate, add Tuna mixture on top, scatter Toasted Nori, sprinkle with finely chopped Spring Onion and Toasted Sesame Seeds. Pour cold ‘Mentsuyu’ and enjoy.