‘Chirashi-zushi’ is a type of Sushi and it is a kind of decorated rice salad. A variety of ingredients are used to mix with Sushi Rice OR cover it in a decorative way. It is a very popular Sushi in Japan as it is relatively easy to prepare. A Vegan version can be easy. You simply choose Vegan ingredients. Today I used Shiitake, Carrot, Edamame (Young Soy Beans), Pickled Daikon, Cucumber, Abura-age (Thin Fried Tofu) that is used for ‘Inari-zushi’. What would you use?
2 cups (*180ml cup) Japanese Short Grain Rice
50ml Rice Vinegar
Slightly less than 1 teaspoon Salt *4ml
*e.g. Shiitake, blanched Carrot, blanched Spinach, Cucumber, Edamame, ‘Inari-zushi no Moto’ (Seasoned Fried Thin Tofu), Avocado, Pickled Daikon, Lettuce, Radish, Sesame Seeds, Nori, etc.
- Cook Rice with slightly less amount of water to achieve firmer texture. Make Sushi Vinegar by mixing Rice Vinegar, Sugar and Salt.
- When Rice is cooked and steamed, pour the Sushi Vinegar over the HOT Rice, then empty it into a large mixing bowl. Mix it well gently and thoroughly, fanning the rice with a fan or piece of cardboard to help the rice cool quickly. Cover the Rice with a damp cloth to stop the Rice drying out.
- Prepare the ingredients for topping. I used the ingredients listed below.
• Dried Sliced Shiitake *simmered
• Carrot *sliced, cut out into a flower shape, then blanched in salted water
• ‘Inari-zushi no Moto’ (Seasoned Fried Thin Tofu)
• Edamame *slightly salted
• Cucumber *cut into bite-size slices
• Pickled Daikon *cut into small pieces
• Nori *cut into fine strips
• Toasted Sesame Seeds
- You can mix these ingredients with Sushi Rice OR cover the Sushi Rice with them in your artistic way. I sprinkled with some Toasted Nori and Toasted Sesame Seeds.