If you are not Vegan, don’t skip this recipe. This dish is delicious with thinly sliced Pork, but today I cooked with plant-based ingredients only. I was cooking this dish with Udon Noodles, but I didn’t have Udon on the day. Then I used Spaghetti which I always stock. As it was surprisingly good, I decided to share the recipe.
1 serving Spaghetti *OR Udon Noodles
1 teaspoon Sesame Oil
1 cupful (OR more) a variety of Vegetables of your choice *cut into thin strips and slices
*Note: I used Onion, Carrot, Shiitake Mushroom and Cabbage. Other suggestions include Shimeji, Enoki, Bok Choy, Bean Sprout, Wombok, Spring Onion, etc.
Salt & Ground Chilli OR White Pepper
1/2 to 1 sheet Abura-age (Fried Thin Tofu) *OR you can use thinly sliced Pork
Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) *optional
1/2 cup Water
1/4 teaspoon Kombu (Kelp) Dashi Powder *OR use 1/2 cup Stock of your choice
1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
1/2 tablespoon Mirin
1/2 tablespoon Potato Starch OR Corn Starch
- Cook Spaghetti in boiling salted water according to the instruction on the package. *Note: If you use Udon, prepare it according to the instruction.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- When Spaghetti is half cooked, start cooking Vegetables. Heat Sesame Oil in a frying pan, cook Vegetables. It takes longer time to cook some Vegetables. Please cook them accordingly.
- Lightly season with Salt & Ground Chilli OR White Pepper. Add Abura-age, stir the sauce well and add it to the pan, then stir well until the sauce thickens. Add drained Spaghetti and combine.
- Sprinkle with Shichimi (Japanese Chilli Spice Mix) if you like it and enjoy.