When I make Tempura, I usually make ‘Kakiage Tempura’ to finish off left-over batter with sliced Onion & Carrot. One day I used Frozen Corn, and my family was so excited with the result. ‘Kakiage Tempura Corn’ was simply YUMMY!
Using thawed frozen corn that is still COLD makes these ‘Kakiage Corn’ crispy without special Tempura Flour or any techniques. Make your own flavour and enjoy with cold beer or wine.
3 to 4 Servings
Frozen Corn Kernels 2 cups
Green Herb of your choice *e.g. Parsley, Coriander, Oregano, Basil, etc.
Plain Flour 4 to 5 tablespoons
Water 2 to 3 tablespoons
Oil for frying
Salt 1 teaspoon
Spices of your choice *e.g. Pepper, Cumin, Coriander, Cayenne Pepper, Oregano, etc.
- Thaw Frozen Corn Kernels but keep them COLD. Low temperature slows down the gluten development and makes Tempura crispy.
- Pick leaves of Green Herb, tear if large, and add them to Corn.
- Add Plain Flour and mix to coat all Corn Kernels.
- Add Water and mix until just combined.
- You then slide large tablespoon sized clumps of the corn mixture into the 170°C to 180°C Oil and deep fry.
- Turn them over a few times. When they are cooked and the batter is lightly golden and crispy, place them on a rack and drain the oil.
- Serve with Salt mixed with Spices of your choice. Of course it can be served with Tentsuyu (Tempura Dipping Sauce).