4 to 6 Servings
Plain Flour OR Self-Raising Flour 2 cups
Water 2 cups
Salt 1 pinch
Dashi Power 1/2 teaspoon *optional
Cabbage 1/4 to 1/2
*Add as much as you like if you can combine with the batter
Thinly Sliced Pork Belly 200g
Benishoga (red pickled ginger) *optional
Ham, Seafood, Sausage, Cheese, Bacon, Onion, Spring Onion, Bean Sprouts, Mushrooms
1. Make the batter by mixing the Flour, Water, Eggs, Salt and Dashi Powder.
2. Add shredded cabbage to the batter and mix it well.
3. Oil a barbecue hotplate or a frying pan and cook pork on both sides.
* If you choose to use a filling such as seafood, ham or cheese that doesn’t have to be as well cooked as pork does, you can simply mix these ingredients in with the batter and cabbage mix instead of cooking them first.
4. Pour the cabbage mixture over the pork pieces to form pancakes. When the edge of the pancake has set, flip the pancakes over, and cook for 2 or 3 minutes until all the batter is cooked. You may turn the pancakes over a few times while cooking.
5. Place the pancake on a plate with the pork on the top. Dress with Okonomiyaki Sauce and Japanese Mayonnaise, and sprinkle with Katsuobushi and Aonori. Benishooga (pickled ginger) also goes well with this as a topping.