‘German people would never make this,’ my daughter said to me when I was making this. The fishy and salty Anchovy on Flammkuchen? Why not? I love Anchovy on Pizza, so I added it to the German version of Pizza. This is absolutely delicious!
2 to 4 Servings
1 heaped cup Plain Flour OR Bread Flour *about 1 & 1/4 cups
1 teaspoon Baking Powder *optional, I didn’t add
1/4 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Warm Water
1 tablespoon Olive Oil *OR Vegetable Oil
100g Sour Cream
50g Anchovette (Anchovy Spread) *I used Peck’s Anchovette
1/2 Onion *finely chopped
8 Anchovy Fillets *drained and chopped
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Combine Flour and Salt in a bowl. Add Warm Water and Olive Oil. Mix until a dough comes together. Knead, adding more flour if required, until smooth and elastic.
- Divide the dough into 2 portions if you prefer. (Today I made 1 large Flammkuchen.) Roll out or flatten the dough into a thin oblong or round, and place on a baking tray(s), lined with baking paper if necessary.
- Mix Sour Cream and Anchovette (Anchovy Spread), spread on the base, scatter chopped Onion and Anchovy Fillets evenly.
- Bake in a hot oven over 200℃ until nicely browned and edges are crispy. *Today I baked it at 240℃ for 8 minutes.
- Sprinkle with ground Pepper and scatter fresh Dill leaves over.